BY R.D.N ANTONIO GOMEZ
WHAT TO EAT
We´ve previously discussed that the aim of the keto diet is to reduce carbohydrate intake, nevertheless, carbohydrates should not be completely removed, for a better understanding below is a list of allowed/recommended food and also a list of the ones that are not permitted or should be limited.
WHICH FOODS TO EAT
We´ve discussed previously that the aim is to drastically reduce carbohydrate intake, nevertheless, carbohydrates should not be completely removed, whereas the fat intake is greatly increased and protein intake remains the same as you would normally eat, for a better understanding below is a list of allowed/recommended food and also a list of the ones that are not permitted or should be limited.
- CARBOHYDRATES: Low glycemic fruits like oranges, apples, guavas, berries, strawberries, grapes, and kiwi.
- PROTEIN: breast chicken, red meat, eggs but most importantly a higher frequency intake os seafood protein like fish, salmon, tuna, shrimp, oysters, etc, not only because of OMEGA3 fatty acid because seafood is rich in minerals that somehow are deficient in a ketogenic diet like Calcium and Magnesium.
- FATTY ACIDS: avocado, bacon, olive oil, or any type of edible oil, nuts, almonds in low quantities but most importantly coconut oil as it has a special oil that enriches the production of ketone bodies.
- OTHERS: protein shakes with little to none carbohydrates, sweeteners with a very low glycemic response like Yacon Syrup and other sources with zero to none sugar beverage or snack labeled “KETO-FRIENDLY”.
- SUPPLEMENTS: Exogenous ketone bodies, which is a powder supplement able to spike ketone bodies concentrations greatly in a short period of time, making it a key product in order to improve sustainability and adherence to the diet.
FOOD NOT PERMITTED
- CARBOHYDRATES: cereals, tubers, and high glycemic fruits like bananas and watermelon, as they can spike a glucose concentration in blood.
- DAIRY: Although dairy is high in protein it is also high in carbohydrates because of lactose, some types of cheese can contribute to considerable amounts of carbohydrates.
- CAFFEINE: Found in coffee, tea, chocolate, some cola-flavored drinks, and energy-boosting drinks could spike a glucose response similar to sugar, therefore, it is advisable to avoid caffeinated beverages and/or foods rich in caffeine.
EXOGENOUS KETONE BODIES SUPPLEMENT EXPLAINED
Ketone esters or "exogenous ketone bodies” are supplements mainly made of synthetic “beta-hydroxybutyrate” (BHB) which is a naturally occurring ketone body highly present in states of ketosis.
This supplement can be found in the market in either liquid or in powder, and what makes using them interesting is that they greatly increase the concentration of ketone bodies in the blood.
This makes them a very useful tool when you have the desire to consume a meal rich in carbohydrates like ice cream or pizza, the ketogenic diet is a very restricted regime that deprives of this type of social gathering meals.
A single intake of ketone esters will guarantee an increase in ketone body concentration, meaning that even a meal rich in carbohydrates like ice cream and pizza can be eaten without losing a ketosis state, in order to do this the ketone esters most be taken prior to the meal.
KETOGENIC DIET DOWNSIDES
On a ketogenic diet, everything is far from perfect, deficiencies of some micronutrients can arise like calcium, magnesium, boron, and molybdenum, also a lack of dietary fiber is highly present in this type of diet and constipation is a common issue.
These considerations are important to speak with your nutritionist on how to manage these deficiencies, a supplement can be recommended as well as fiber supplements for constipation or even a better solution are prebiotics, Yacon Syrup will be an excellent aid not only because it will provide gut nourishment but is also very low in carbohydrates making it a keto-friendly sweetener.
Also, blood levels of zinc and selenium levels may decrease in a ketogenic diet nevertheless a higher frequency intake of seafood can help a lot.
The keto diet seems something simple on paper but the nutritional approach and proper management require guidance and commitment, based on scientific evidence are safe to say that the keto diet is another tool in the toolbox, new data is starting to emerge in its application in the elderly population because it can promote cellular strengthen by slowing down cell wear-down.
If you decided to try the keto diet take into account all the considerations, in Wholefort we aim to provide high-quality products not only to improve your overall health but to offer you alternatives that you can easily incorporate into your diet.
Yacon Syrup is an excellent addition to go along with the keto diet, as it can solve the problem of constipation by nourishing the gut with its high content of prebiotics with very little carbohydrates and almost zero calories.